choose your
language:

Surrounding attractions

Hollókő
Ipolytarnóc
Mátraverebély - Szentkút national shrine
Seholsziget Adventure Park
Castle of salgó
Csesztve
Mohora
Balassagyarmat
Szécsény




HOLLÓKŐ



Hollókő 29,5 km from Nógrádgárdony



Since 1987, the 67 protected and fairytale like houses of the Old Village are registered by the UNESCO and they were the first ones to form part of this list where the world’s most valuable heritage can be found. Moreover, this was the first village in the world winning this title. Spending a few days in Hollókő is not merely a pastime but, rather, a lifestyle. It is situated in the Cserhát mountain, and is well-known for its over hundred years old houses; however, it does not in the least resemble a skanzen (village museum) or a museum, because it is much livelier than many towns even larger than this.

Attractions of Hollókő



Village Museum



The Old Village’s preserved folk building complex that is inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site evokes the image of a 20th century Palóc village. The former dwelling house in front of the Church has been a museum since 1964.
Opening hours: From the 1st of April until the end of October, every day from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. From the 1st of November till the 31st of March from 10 a.m. untill 4 p.m.

Phone: +36-30-842-9812

Paloc Doll Museum



The Doll Museum takes place between the Lower Well and the path leading to the castle; its enormous doll collection is open for visitors. The museum exhibits more than 200 pieces of big, porcelain dolls that wear the colourful folk costumes of the Palóc region. The universal Hungarian folk costumes are exhibited periodically.

Opening hours: From the middle of March until the end of October, every day from 10 a.m.until 5 p. m.
Phone: +36-32-379-088

Handicraft printer



Historical and interactive exhibition about printing. Numerous programs are waiting for visitors in the unique printer. The 200-year-old Gutenberg metal printer is worth to try, which is appropriate for printing different souvenirs of Hollókő. There are programmes for children and handicraft camps as well. In our printer the whole printing process is available to try: from manual type-setting to printing and handicraft bookbindery. We have made numerous products by using the printer’s technology: handicraft notebooks, diaries, bookmarks, welcome cards, small-sized books, art printings, lino and wood cuts, guest books, wooden-lettered posters, certificates and memory books.

The printer is a real treasure among handicraft professions in the Old Village, where the folk world heritage meets the Hungarian printing tradition of centuries.

Opening hours: From the middle of March until the end of October, every day from 10 a.m. Until 5 p. m.
House of popular costumes and local traditions
One of the Village Museum’s listed buildings exhibits the history of the village and the landscape protection area of Hollókő, the culture of Palóc people and the memories of the centuries-old agriculture.

Opening hours: From the middle of March until the end of October, every day from 10 a.m. Until 5 p. m.

Post Museum



“The Post of The Palóc Region” exhibition takes place in two rooms and shows the development of the Paloc ethnic group’s post network and post records that connected to Palóc people. These records are post cards, stamps, bank notes that illustrate peculiar Palóc landscapes, folk costumes and people.

Opening hours: From the 1 of April until the end of October from 10 a.m. until 8 p. m. Monday is a holiday.
Phone: +36-32-379-288

Weaving House



Visitors could have a look at handicraft works of local and vicinal women. A woman in folk costume tells the visitors about the cheerful moments of the spinning-houses, and represents the usage of manual weaving looms. The textiles that are made on the weaving-loom are purchasable in the craft shop, in the Weaving House. There are embroideries, homespun and lace-works from different Hungarian language regions; the visitors could even observe old and new pieces of folk costumes.

Opening hours: From the middle of March until the end of October, every day from 10 a.m. Until 5 p. m.
Phone/Fax.: +36-32-379-037; +36-30-289-1946

Castle Museum



Wherever we go in Hollókő the castle, the village’s spectacle that was built on the peak of the stone, can be seen from almost every point. By walking on the twisting roads around Zsunypuszta to Rimóc or Varsány the castle is within sight.
Phone: +36-30-968-1739

Castle



According to the origin myth of the castle, once upon a time a lord named András, a member of the famous Kacsics family, lived here. András once kidnapped a neighbouring lord’s beautiful wife and closed her into one of the rooms of the castle that was being built that time. The masons were building the castle. The walls of the room was on its place by day, but they disappeared by night. The beautiful wife had a witch nurse who entered into an alliance with the devil. The devil’s sons in shape of ravens carried the stones away by night and they had done the same until the wife escaped. According to the tale, the village and the castle were named after the devil’s sons, the ravens.

Opening hours: From the middle of March until the end of October, every day from 10 a.m. until 5.30 p. m.

Top


IPOLYTARNÓC



A trip to the Miocene World



Ipolytarnóc 38,1 km from Nógrádgárdony



Seaside sand interspersed with shark teeth, huge, petrified trees from a subtropical jungle, leaf imprints of exotic plants, footprints of monsters, remains burnt together in the hot flow of volcanic tuff - this is Ipolytarnóc Fossils. The Miocene World revives with the help of three-dimensional effects. In the visitor centre’s 4D theatre the visitors can enjoy the sight with the help of 4D effects.

Attractions:



23 million year old fossils
4D cinema
Tree crown walkway
Children's play area, a mini adventure park
Miocene forest
Bükkábrány mummified forest

This is the Ipolytarnóc Fossils, member of European Diploma of Protected Areas and it is present on the Tentative List of World Heritage. One of the Seven Green Wonders of Hungary and it is the Gate to Novohrad-Nógrád Geopark.

http://osmaradvanyok.hu/index.php?p=en_home

Top


MÁTRAVEREBÉLY-SZENTKÚT NATIONAL SHRINE



Szentkút 55,1 km from Nógrádgárdony



Szentkút is a National Shrine and only 30 minutes away from Hollókő. There are a lot of things to discover at the National Shrine.

Mátraverebély-Szentkút is on the Slovak - Hungarian border; a multi-ethnic area led by Hungary. Many former Franciscan shrines were the meeting places of several nations, for example the Franciscan church had numerous multinational monasteries and today the Shrine of Szentkút has the same, nation connecting role.

According to tradition, King Ladislas in 1091-92 was escaping from the enemy and got to a precipice but it was hopeless to continue his escape. Suddenly his horse jumped to the other side and the first spring came to the surface that time.
The first healing by the spring was in the 13th century, the Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus appeared to a mute shepherd, and he was ordered to dig into the ground and to drink from the water that comes to the surface. The boy obeyed and regained the ability of speaking.

A church was built in 1210 in the village of Mátraverebély because of the pilgrims wandering to the spring in the valley of Szentkút. The church had the privilege of patronal ceremony in 1258. The pilgrimage site had the greatest privilege of patronal ceremony by the 1400’s. In 1700 Pope Clement XI. examined some miraculous healing occurred in Szentkút and accepted their authenticity.

In 1705 the first stone chapel was built in Szentkút. Appreciating his extraordinary healing in Szentkút, Janos Almásy built the shrine temple and a monastery next to it between 1758 and 1763. In 1970 the shrine temple got the title ‘basilica minor’ from Pope Paul VI.

Hermits had been living in the caves of Szentkút (above today’s shrine temple) since the 13th century.
The Shrine only flourished in the 1920s due to the effect of Josephinism, and development declined because of communism.
The Minor Brothers returned to the pilgrimage site in 1989. They renewed the exterior of the church and bought back the lands to create the basis for future developments. The Shrine has been declared as National Shrine by Cardinal Peter Erdo in 2006 on the Assumption of Mary. Its patronal ceremony is on the Sunday closest to the Assumption of Mary.

Contact



National Shrine
H-3077 Mátraverebély-Szentkút 14.
Phone: +36 32 418 029,
Mobile: +36 20 400 58 78
E-mail: info@szentkut.hu
http://szentkut.hu/en/

Top


Seholsziget Adventure Park



Nőtincs-Seholsziget Adventure Park 48 km from Nógrádgárdony



We gave rise to our magical playhouse called Peter Pan in 2000. Our aim was to create a place where children and their parents can spend their time abandoned. The world of fairy tales with its glistening and sparkling power – far from our days’ overwhelming and negative effects – takes us to the land of dreams, where children and parents can live through magical moments together. Spinning along the string of our dreams we wanted to place these impressive adventures into a natural environment. Thus we chose a wonderful site with excellent natural features situated in a picturesque environment of Nógrád county, Nőtincs, where under the aegis of happiness, harmony and peace, the isle of stillness came to life: the Seholsziget Adventure Park.

The Hawkeye Riding School is operating inside the Seholsziget Adventure Park.



Our motto: love, balance, profession
”What can you expect, if you ride here? – Horse riding.”
Why do I say this? There is horse riding and there are false horse ridings. The true horse riding works for each horse. The false ones are good only in some cases, for some people and their horses. 98% of the riders struggle with unsolved problems and questions. The true horse riding gives you the answers. Man and horse are developing continuously and endlessly. We get to know the horse and ourselves, we learn how to rule our emotions as well as our horse’s. Than we fear of nothing. Horse riding is not just about overcoming the horse or the obstacles, it is only about overcoming ourselves. You always have to keep to the principles of horse riding. Its characteristics are love, consistency, lightness, flexibility, poise, relax, attention, balance. We never choose the easier way.
Horse riding is a beautiful, but a hard and difficult work. If you like working, you will have a lot of experiences and you will always enjoy it.

In addition our riding school undertakes:



• breaking in foals
• training of horses
• retraining of problem horses
• training of carriage-horses
• coach-driving lessons
• managing riding programs (eg.: breed show)
• organizing and managing riding camps
• selling of different horses (foal, high school horse, carriage-horse)
• horsekeeping in loose-boxes or in stud
• organizing team building trainings
We speak English and slovensky languages.
Come and get experiences, which change your life and opinion about horses irrevocably!

Services



Riding services: rider training, coach-driving course, horse riding camp, mounted tour organization, horsekeeping, horse training.

If you would like to have resort to our services, please call: 06 20 934 1958. You have to call a day before the planned date.

Contact:



Seholsziget Adventure Park
H-2610 Nőtincs, Diófa u. 41.
www.seszi.hu
Opening hours: all year 10:00 – 18:00
Tel.: +36-20/934-1958

Top


CASTLE OF SALGÓ



3109 Salgótarján


www.salgovar.hu



Castle of Salgó 56,4 km from Nógrádgárdony



Long long ago in Nógrád county among the hills of Medves on a 625 m high volcanic rock a small stronghold was built. In the beginning it was only a square-shaped stone tower. People called it Salgó witch means shine. However it’s still not clear, that the name Salgó was the name of the volcanic peak, or they started to call the place like this name only after when the tower has been erected.

This fortified tower was built by the Kacsics clan, who were the lords around this hills, in the 13th century. According to some certain consideration the building of this tower was related to the Mongol invasion (1241-1242), because all over Hungary only the fortified towns or castles could resist the Tartar’s army. The sieges of fortresses were not the Tatar’s cup of tea. After the invasion the king, IV. Béla ordered and supported the fortifications of manor houses and towns or to build new strongholds as well. Salgó started as a small a tower (7,5 x 9,5 m) and a small castle-yard.

It is supposed that the cellar of the tower was used as a prison. The water-supply was a difficult one on this volcanic rock, therefore in the lower level of the peak, under the tower, they constructed a water-collecting cistern. This rock-castle had two cisterns, a huge and a smaller one. The water was essential, not only for drink but for fight the fire to. In 1460 the Hussites captured the small fortress of Salgó. King Mathias the First recaptured it in the same year and gave it to Imre Szapolyai. This time was the great age of Salgó.

The lower castle-yard was built in that time and the upper castle-yard became roofed-over. This part of the yard became a living space. The lord of the castle didn’t live in Salgó but his substitute, the castellan lived in this upper yard living building. In the lower castle-yard there were the stables and the storehouses. In the 16th century a huge pentagonal battlement ( 14 x 15 m) was built in the east side of the rock. Although even this reinforced building could not resist the Turkish (Ottoman) attack.

Legends were told, that Kara Hamza bey, the governor of Szécsény and Hatvan, took the castle by ruse. He made his soldiers to lay tree trunks on to gun carriages and push them under the fortress. The soldiers in the tower thought that the trunks were real guns because they couldn't see well in the fog. They handed over Salgó. In the reality the fortress was shelled into ruins by the turks. They set the artillery on the top of the neighboring hill, opposite to Salgó called Kis-Salgó (Small-Salgó) or Boszorkánykő (The cliff of witches).

The father of Bálint Balassi, the great Hungarian poet, got the fortress (however the Turkish was in it). After his death his sons Bálint and Ferenc Kövér couldn’t decide who’s the owner. It was an acrimonious lawsuit of long standing between them. In 1593 Michael Pálffy and Christof Tieffenbach reoccupied Salgó. Bálint Balassi died in 1594 in the siege of Esztergom. The nephew of Bálint herited the ruins of Salgó but he let it alone. The ruins was overgrown with grass and shrubs. When Sándor Petőfi an other great and famous poet of Hungary climbed up to the ruins of Salgó in 1845 the atmosphere of the ruins made him write his romantic poetry: Salgó. This is a tragic story about Kompolti clan the lords of Salgó who tyrannized the region, which were under their power. The story is based on a traditional legend.

Nowdays Salgó is a well-known, beauty tourist spot. It’s near to Salgótarján, 120 km far from Budapest.

Top


CSESZTVE



Csesztve 18,2 km from Nógrádgárdony



Imre Madách Memorialhouse



National heritage

Imre Madách (1823-1864): The Tragedy of Man. Memorabilia associated with the writer's greatest work.

Phone.: +36-35-344-319,
Mobile: +36-20-484-3090
E-mail: madachemlekhaz@gmail.com

Opening hours: tue-sun: 10.00-14.00

Top


MOHORA



Mohora 15,9 km from Nógrádgárdony



Klári Tolnay Memorial House



The photo series accompanying the artist's life and his career all the way along, family jewels, fancy dresses, personal of use objects can be observed.

H-2698 Mohora
30 Kossuth utca

Phone number: +36 (35) 373106
Mobile: +36-30-9128135

Opening hours: 04/01-10/31, K-V: 10:30-16:00

Top


BALASSAGYARMAT



Balassagyarmat 11,1 km from Nógrádgárdony



Palóc Museum



Main Palóc Museum: displays of individual folk art (shepherd art, furniture, hand weaving and embroidery), folk piety and folk costume. The open-air part of the Museum is Hungary's oldest outdoor ethnographical collection. It includes a house of wooden construction dating from the 18th century complete with its outbuildings, a small chapel and rood from the 19th century. The permanent exhibition depicts peasant life from the cradle to the grave, encompassing all the major life events as well as everyday existence. The personal collection and library of the Museum's founder Iván Nagy (1824-1898) is of particular interest, and now functions as a source for social history and genealogical researchers. It, along with the permanent exhibition, is a fine testament to the Nagy's work. The historical collection contains a rich collection of items relating to urban history and literary history.

Phone number: +36 (35) 300168
Fax: +36 (35) 300168
Email: info@palocmuzeum.hu
Web: http://palocmuzeum.hu/?lang=en

Palóc House



Next to the Palóc Museum at Balassagyarmat, the small open-air museum, or skansen, (the first such collection in Hungary) displays some fine examples of vernacular Palóc architecture, including a log wall house, stable, shed, sweep well and a press used in the extraction of pumpkin-seed oil, as well as a replica of a chapel from Szanda and an original 1927 rood from the Etes area. All visitors welcome.

Phone number: +36 (35) 300168
Fax: +36 (35) 300168
Email: info@palocmuzeum.hu
Web: http://palocmuzeum.hu/2012/01/30/paloc-haz/

Art gallery



The mansion character a building was built in 1913 based on Munk Dezső plans. Contemporary fine art constant exhibition and a collection, which was in the county hall until 1978 from 1975, was found in 1991 again for the publicity then accessible one. Exhibition from Local artists works(Farkas András, Jánossy Ferenc, Réti Zoltán)and several other artists’s work visible here. (Tóth Menyhért, Kokas Ignác, Szabó Vladimír, Patay László, Földi Péter etc.)

Phone number: +36 (35) 300186
www.mkmk.hu

Opening hours: Tuesday- Saturday: 9.00- 12.00 and 12.30- 17. 00

Top


SZÉCSÉNY



Szécsény 12,8 km from Nógrádgárdony



Forgách-castle and Kubinyi Museum



The city's most famous attraction is the Forgach Castle. Szécsény bears the memory of the Rákóczi's War of Independence. The 1705 Diet held in Szécsény elected Rákóczi the ruler and established the legal framework of his state. The Gothic hall of the cloister is named after Rákóczi in memory of this. The baroque castle was built by the Forgách family in the mid-18th century. The building housed the Ferenc Kubinyi Museum, which has operated since 1973 in the renovated castle.

Phone number: +36 (32) 370143
Phone number: +36 (32) 370076
Email: kubinyi.muzeum@gmail.com
http://www.kubinyimuzeum.hu/en/

Franciscan monastery



The large church monument built in 1332 with a papal permit in the northwestern area of the former castle district. The sanctuary built with gothic style from the 14th century. The most valuable part is the sacristy, which holds only with an octagonal pillars. The current baroque ship was built in 1696. The monastery was built between 1694-1734 with a closed ornamental vaulted cloister and a courtyard. In 1989, the Franciscans took possession of the building again.

Phone number: +36 (32) 370076
Email: szecseny@ofm.hu
http://www.szecseny.ofm.hu

Remains of Szécsény Castle



At the edge of the Ipoly Valley, on the old course of the river the castle stood. It is not known exactly when it was constructed but it is mentioned in a charter of 1461. The stones of the castle were used to build the Forgách Chateau. What remains now are some remnants of the walls of the outer towers, the motte, the pickets along with the north-west bastion and ten metre-diameter north-east bastion.

Phone number: +36 (32) 370143
Phone number: +36 (32) 370777
http://www.szecseny.hu/index.php?Itemid=71

Top


Check availability
Arrival:
Departure:
Newsletter
Subscribe to our Newsletter to get the latest deals and informations!
Facebook